Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Last Unicorn: Graphic Novel

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle adapted by Peter B. Gillis. Art by Renae de Liz. Published 2011.

I have not read the original The Last Unicorn but I'd be interested to do so. I'd been hearing good things about this graphic adaptation and couldn't help purchasing it for my library after taking a look at the great artwork at my local bookstore. While the book is marketed as YA, I included it in Tweens because there isn't any graphic violence, sexuality or harsh language. I think older Tweens would still like it more than younger ones but younger ones may just enjoy the pictures. There are a few scantily clad pictures of women but nothing inappropriate is shown in the illustrations.

Being that this is an adaptation, my main problem with it is that it seems to graze over the plot and not explain some parts completely while jumping around more than I would assume the novel would. It seems to be more of a teaser for the novel than anything else. While it took me a while to piece some things together, everything made sense to me in the end and the climax was fulfilling and exciting. Honestly, the climax seemed to be the one place I fully understood what was going on.

As a summary, the Last Unicorn goes on a search for the rest of the unicorns and on her travels meets a magician who helps her escape from a crone. They eventually make their way to a dark castle where the unicorn is turned into a woman, Lady Althea, by the wizard to save her life. The prince of the castle falls in love with her while she is in human form, but to save the unicorn kind, she must turn back into a unicorn, forsaking her human love, and battle to the death a magical red bull under the power of the evil king. I thought this book would be great for both boys and girls but based on the title and cover I feel like girls will pick it up first and hopefully pass it on to the boys.

Intended reading level: YA Interest level: Grades 7 & 8
Genre: graphic novel, fiction, fantasy

Comparable Titles: Rapunzel's Revenge, Return to Labyrinth

Book connections: bull and unicorn figurines

No comments:

Post a Comment