Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Fudge-a-mania

Fudge-a-mania by Judy Blume

For some reason, I've always had this strange feeling like I was a reluctant reader when I was a tween, yet at the same time I always remember reading. Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing was one of those books that broke through and I will always remember being so amazed at how funny it was. But then, for whatever reason, I don't remember reading anything else by Judy Blume until I was older.

I believe, Fudge-a-mania is the fourth book in the Peter and Fudge series, and what is great about these books is how real they are. The characters think and do things that real kids their age would do, but so do the parents. The awkward response to Jimmy's dad staying over. The sulking Dad after he fails to sail the boat into the harbor.

And for humor, I just have to share this snippet:

"Person overboard!" Sheila shouted.
Mrs. Tubman and I remembered our responsibilities. We pointed at Dad. We pointed as some guy from the dock reached into the water and pulled him out. We pointed as someone else wrapped him in a blanket. We pointed until Dad looked at us and called, "Okay...th-th-that's enough! You c-c-can stop pointing now."

This is a good book to give kids who are moving away from Diary of a Wimpy Kid but not quite something bigger yet.
Also, its a great read aloud for younger kids too. While student teaching, the first grade teacher I worked with read it to the kids and one boy would chant out, "Fudge! Fudge!" whenever he wanted her to start reading.

Intended reading level: Grades 3-6 Interest Level: Grade 3
Genre: realistic fiction, humor
Fourth book in series.

Comparable titles: Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Judy Blume in general or Naylor's Alice series.

Book connections: pink rocks, blueberries, baseball mitts, Oil of Olay

No comments:

Post a Comment