Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer. Published 2001.

This book pleasantly surprised me. I was not expecting The People to be kickass CIA-like recon officers with master technology combined with the use of magic. Who would have expected that? I was also surprised that the title character is the villain and that this series, using that premise, continues on for eight more books (the last hasn't been released yet). My surprise was not tinged with disappointment though.

In this tale, Artemis Fowl is a boy genius and millionaire whose greed for power, or quite possibly just a fairy wish, has him concoct a plan to kidnap a fairy and ransom her for The People's gold (the People here being fairies, goblins and such that live underground). Meanwhile, LEPrecon officer Holly Short is desperately trying to out wit and out maneuver her captor while simultaneously trying to save the other Mud People (or humans) in the house. I would tell you more, but I don't want to ruin the suspense.

The story is told from multiple perspectives and from the point of view of the various characters, which gives it a movie like quality that moves around with the action. It is fast-paced, definitely not boring and has an ending that will satisfy you, but also keep you guessing. I have to say, the epilogue was needed, because I wasn't quite sure what happened with his mother until I read the last section.

Intended reading level: Grades 5-8 Interest level: Grade 5
Genre: Fantasy, Adventure

Comparable titles: Artemis Fowl in Graphic Novel format, The Goose Girl series, H.I.V.E., N.E.R.D.S.

Book Connections: mini-fairy books, fairy language decoders, acorns

Book Trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment