Sunday, April 14, 2013

Like Bug Juice on a Burger

Like Bug Juice on a Burger by Julie Sternber. ARC. Published April 2013 by Amulet.

I have to say this was not my favorite book. I don't understand when text is placed in verse when it's not actually poetry. Just let it read like regular prose please. The plot is that Eleanor is going to sleep away camp for the first time. At first she is excited but once she realizes she won't be in the familiarity of her own home with her parents, she begins to dread the experience. The rest of the book is her detailing what she doesn't like about camp but realizing that she will survive it. The book was short, probably because of the verse style writing. Once I felt like the character was reaching her growth potential and where the book was really going to take off, it ended. I don't feel like I really got to know any of the other characters and her learning process seemed to come on rather quickly. I understand it was meant to be a shorter read for younger students, but I wasn't a fan. That being said, I think this was just a personal preference and other readers might like it as the writing itself was done well. Could be good summer reading potential.

Intended reading level: Grades 1-3
Second book in a series.

Questions to the Readers: 
Have you ever been to summer camp before? If so, what was your experience like? If not, would you want to go? Why? Do you think Eleanor could have done anything different to enjoy her time there more? What was your favorite name for the goat?

Read-alikes: 
Like Pickle Juice on a Cookie, Liberty Porter, Ruby Lu

No comments:

Post a Comment