Wednesday, May 22, 2013

To review or not review?

Having recently begun reading electronic galleys, I wonder if it is better to review something or not if you dislike it. There were two books I started, one of which I couldn't get past the first two chapters and another that I made it more than half way but thought why waste my time reading more. I feel obliged to review them as that is part of the bargain, yet I don't see the point of promoting a book I did not like reading. I suppose it is as worthwhile for people to know what is not worth purchasing as it is to know what is worth reading and adding to a library selection. On the other side, I feel beholden to the publishers who made this galley available to me for free and would hate to lose that connection based on a number of bad reviews.

Since I can't seem to decide, yet the galleys insist I share information after reading. Here is my summary of the two titles I will not be purchasing.

Outcast by Adrienne Kress: YA

Having been raised in a highly religious family, it was hard for me to buy the premise of the book. If angels appeared and started taking people away, everyone in a religious community would be thrilled and believe it to be the Rapture. They would welcome the angels and treat the people who were taken as saints and wonder what else they should be doing to be more like them. Perhaps the author addresses this later in the book, but I couldn't get passed the telling instead of showing that the author employed to try to get me to believe a premise that would never feel real to me even in paranormal fantasy.

Time Tripping Faradays by John Seven: Middle Grade

I was able to forgive some inconsistencies and suspend my disbelief slightly as I knew this was a fantasy/sci-fi book for younger children. My problem came half way through the book when I knew I had more questions noted than answers. Here are just a few of those questions - Why is the shoe business actually important to the story line? How do they speak the languages of the different time periods? How are they able to get in such close confidence with these major leaders? Why are the kids specifically given the chance to time travel? Is this schooling for them, if so why can't other kids do it? I was at page 73 and still wondering what the inciting incident was. I understood that the alchemy storyline was suppose to mean something, but I wasn't sure why I was suppose to care. Nothing seemed to have any real weight, even if you considered they might alter reality in the future, I still didn't care.

So there you go...my first two negative reviews. I wish I could have read them all the way through to give a better overall impression but there is too little time to waste on reading a bad book when there are so many good ones out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment