Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Twits

The Twits by Roald Dahl. Published 1980.

I remember reading this when I was younger, but I couldn't actually remember it, so I've gone back to reading Dahl so I can reconnect with what I loved when I was younger. I think this book would make a great, quick read-aloud. While it is not the nicest book by leaps and bounds, its funny in that way that kids love. Probably because there is so much name calling and pranks happening.

In this story, the couple, Mr. and Mrs. Twit try to one up themselves in horribleness to each other. Finally, the monkeys they have been trying to train, fight against them to save the birds of the neighborhood. To be honest, not much really happens...but its all fun.

Interest level: Grades 3-6 Intended reading level: 4th Grade
Genre: Fiction, Humor

Comparable titles: Captain Underpants series, In the Land of the Lawn Weenies and other Lubar short stories


Book connections: monkey dolls in cage and stuffed bird dolls, wooden cane, balloons



No comments:

Post a Comment